Friday, January 1, 2016

Words

There are two words stuck in my head as things I want to strive for in 2016.

Balance.

Localize.

Balance... between work and life, surely.  In 2014 and 2015 the world has been inundated with articles about women who "have it all" or how women will never "have it all".  And I don't intend to list them or weigh the merits of them.
But what I mean when I say balance has everything and nothing to do with having it all.  I want to spend time each day writing, and reading, and being outside... I want to know I have been playing in the dirt(or with food I just took out of the dirt) or moving my body in the sunshine... and I desperately want and need to pursue creative endeavors.
I could draw out pie charts or obsessively schedule, but those things have kept me from the doing in years past, so I won't... I will try out the Pomodoro Method on my mornings.  Cycles of work and breaks could be just the ticket.

Localize... Well, I have Barbera Kingsolver to blame  thank for this kick in the pants.  Have you read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle?  I unabashedly recommend it.  I also want to take miles off of my food because of it.  So we're expanding the garden and diversifying what we're planting... I hope to make all the salsa we eat from June(when tomatoes start really coming in) on, and have good things in our freezer, and on our table, and filling up mason jars for those days when they can't be found local and fresh.  One of the benefits of this point in our lives is having the time to invest in this sort of garden... and it's one of those habits I am so glad to be starting young.  It'll have lasting benefits for our whole lives.
But here's the thing.  We can't grow it all.  And what we can't grow, I want to find in or around my community.  It's a way to put money into the economy in this place where we call home, and, more importantly, connect with the people who bring meat and milk to the table.
So I think we'll be on the winning end... with relationships in the community and a full pantry.

Alright 2016.   I'm coming for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment