My dear church,
It’s crazy to think a month has passed since I got to preach for you about my call.
Now I want to tell you where it started.
If you’ve heard me preach, you know I hold a special place in my heart for Camp Christian. I grew up counting down the days to Camp Christian every Summer, and to Youth Assembly at Epworth every winter. These youth assemblies made God accessible to me and also put me in touch with people who’d influence my faith for the rest of my life.
Camp is holy ground, where God comes close to earth, and we come so close to God, that we can hear one another. I felt the truth in the love of God for me (Yes! Me!) the first time I went to camp. There were people there who helped me sort out all of the things an 11-year old girl needs to sort out, and where it didn’t matter if I was part of the “in crowd”… I was a child of God and that was enough. Over the years, the fact that I am a child of God took on deeper meaning and was felt more deeply at camp: It’s the place where I first worked with youth as a Chi Rho counselor, and where I’ve watched those first youth grow up. It’s where I did a lot of my growing too.
If you ever had any doubt about camp, set it aside. It’ll change your life, whether you go as a camper or a counselor. I truly believe that, with all my heart, because I experience it every time I go. And even though I’m a counselor now, I might have to count down the days till I’m there again…
See you soon,
Sarah
No comments:
Post a Comment