Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Advent at home


Black Friday shopping…
I understand the point of knocking it all out early, but taking away family time for those who work in retail… especially with the sales starting at midnight, even 10:00 on Thanksgiving day. 
I heard Christmas music playing already in many places, before Thanksgiving.
And now we have Small Business Saturday. 
Cyber Monday.

Constants.  Telling us to buy buy buy more. Why?

I just… want to get back to a sense that Christmas is about the Christ Child.  Advent- that month of getting ready that comes before Christmas, is supposed to be about preparation.  In our hearts, in our homes.  Not about gifts… especially not about stressing out over finding the time and money to buy all kinds of gifts and go into debt… So to remember that, Christmas in my home, the very first one of my own, is home-made this year. 

I’m not buying many things.  And when I buy things, you can be sure they will not be given alone, and very rarely be new.  Somehow, it just makes more sense to me to give from the heart- and for me, that’s with my hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment